Submission Preparation ChecklistAs part of the submission process, authors are required to check off their submission's compliance with all of the following items, and submissions may be returned to authors that do not adhere to these guidelines.
- The submission has not been previously published, nor is it before another journal for consideration (or an explanation has been provided in Comments to the Editor).
- This paper conforms with standard academic honesty practices and has been checked for plagiarism by the authors.
- All empirical papers which contain work involving human subjects or secondary data about them have been approved by either a university research ethics board (REB) or the institutional equivalent in the case of an NGO or international organization.
- The submission file is in Microsoft Word or equivalent editable file format (no PDF)
- All references in the submission are in keeping with the APA Style Guide with bibliography and minimal use of footnotes (or, where applicable, the Canadian Guide to Legal Citation).
- The text is double-spaced; uses a 12-point font; employs italics, rather than underlining (except with URL addresses); and all illustrations, figures, and tables are placed within the text at the appropriate points, rather than at the end.
- You will be able to provide a brief abstract, bibliographic statement (for all authors) and ORCID id, if available, as part of the article submission process.
- All electronically available references (e.g. digital journal articles or government websites) include valid links (URLs) or permanent digital identifiers (DOIs). Formatting follows APA style.
Refuge authors retain the copyright over their work, and license it to the general public under the Creative Commons Attribution-Non Commercial License International (CC BY-NC 4.0). This license allows for non-commercial use, reproduction and adaption of the material in any medium or format, with proper attribution (see https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/4.0/legalcode - human readable summary at https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/4.0/).
The names and email addresses entered in the Refuge website shall be used exclusively for the stated purposes of this journal and will not be made available for any other purpose or to any other party.